Friday, February 20, 2009

My Book on Underwater Photography

Late yesterday afternoon I received an email from my publisher, Amherst Media, which included the above graphic. It represents the cover of and for my book on underwater photography. I am obviously very excited about this book and it being published. Amherst Media publishes books on photography and I own a couple and they produce good quality books. I am proud they are going to publish my book and feel fortunate to have them as my publisher. And that I can now go more public with it being published!

Many of you knew I was writing a book on underwater photography. Fewer knew I had finished the book, and, fewer knew that I had found a publisher. I am happy to now be able to announce this to everyone.

The book's content very much mirrors my underwater photography courses and seminars/workshops that some of you reading this have participated in. The book speaks of the technology we use in our underwater photography but also and perhaps more importantly, actually speaks of how to take a photograph underwater. The technique of underwater photography.

I could go on and describe more about the book here, but, in effect, my doing so could amount to my re-writing the book here in this blogpost!!

I'd rather post about how this book came to be. Just as there is a story behind every photograph there is a story behind this book.

I got the idea for the book back in the mid to late '90s. I even had an outline for it, and a hand written one at that, because I was late in my entry into the computer world. 'Things' happened back then and the book and its writing was put on the back burner along with other back burner projects.

A few years ago the book migrated to the front burner and I took to writing it in earnest. By then I had a computer, thank the powers to be. But, had misplaced the book's outline and as such had to start all over.....

This was not all a bad thing as by then the digital paradigm in underwater photography was upon us and was in full-swing. Mercifully an F-stop stayed an F-stop so the underlying theme for my book remained current.

The book was very challenging to write and in every way imaginable. There was much psychology involved during its writing. Running the gamut from believing I had the 'mother of all' books on underwater photography, to, extreme and grave self doubt about my worthiness to write a book on the subject. I pressed ahead with the conviction that if I could teach underwater photography, and I can; that I should then be able to write a book about it. I had a lot of help and support and some of it came from some of you reading this blog. I thank you dearly, and did so within the book itself. I believe I could write a book about writing this book!

Writing a book is one thing. Getting it published yet another. I am very fortunate to my having been able to write this book. I am also very fortunate to have found a good publisher who, like I, believes the book has merit and is worthy of being published.

I believe you will find this book to be of value to you in your own underwater photography. The book has its humorous moments too, so should be fun to read as well.

It is with many emotions running that I post, humbly, about this book in my blog this morning.

I will let everyone know when the book is available!!

If you want to leave a comment; 'mouse- curse- and- click' over the time stamp below and it will open this post in a new window enabling you to do so.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Larry. I'm so happy for you. This is an accomplishment of a lifetime and a success well deserved. Good job Scubaguy!

Steven Wallace said...

Yeah! Can't wait to get a copy. Congratulations.

Steven Wallace said...

Yeah! Can't wait to get a copy. Congratulations.

RLewis said...

My congratulations as well Larry, that is awesome! You should not feel badly about talking it up on the blog, this is your life's passion and the more people that know about it and appreciate it the better! You should let people know when it hits Amazon.com too so we can comment on it for future customers!! Hope to see you this summer for more dive training.

Unknown said...

I couldn't be happier for you and your accomplishment and can't wait to get my hands on a copy.