Wednesday, September 30, 2009

A real Thrill with an old Friend!




Two Fridays ago, I had the opportunity while conducting an advanced underwater photography course to dive with an old friend, Captain Spencer Slate, who 30 years ago started his dive center here in Key Largo. ( http://captainslate.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3&Itemid=7 )
In my opinion, Capt Slate is somewhat of, if not in fact, a legend or icon in the receational diving community. I won't list all his accomplishments or kudos or contributions for they are easy to find with a moderate effort and on-line. However, Captain Slate for years was the national director of the YMCA Scuba Program (now gone..) And among the things he did that made his mark was to conduct 'critter feeds'.
For some years, Slate has conducted a 'critter feed' and that was the occasion that brought me back to diving with him again. My student and I needed some 'action photography' and we found it during the 'critter feed dive' conducted by Captain Slate. It was a treat that he actually conducted the event and a bonus that another friend, Frazier Nevins, renowned UW videographer, was on the scene as well.
The event is very exciting and high voltage and entertaining. It is also educational in that Capt Slate uses the opportunity to educate and inform those joining him in this event. It was a thrill for me to dive again with my old friend and a thrill for my underwater photography student to experience this type of 'in your face' interaction with the critters that Slate conjurs up during these feeds.
I'd encourage anyone reading this to participate in this. They are conducted each Friday and Sunday and the link above gives more of the particulars. If any of you do, tell Slate that I sent ya!
All kinds of critters show up: beginning with Yellow-tail Snappers, then Black Groupers, then a Barracuda, not long after a good sized Goliath Grouper (aka Jewfish) and most times more than a couple Nurse Sharks! All of them eager for a handout !
lg


If you want to leave a comment; 'mouse- curse- and- click' over the time stamp below and it will open this post in a new window enabling you to do so.

No comments: